|Donie takes his ministry seriously|
The Catandfiddle session leader Tony Horswill reports on the concert to benefit The Mercy Centre, held at Irish Rep this past Monday. Tony played in it too, so had a real stage-eye view of the night!
The genial impresario (pictured above with Jorjette Anderson)
There really were too many to mention so I just give you below he running order which was pinned to the fridge in what was simultaneously both the most crowded and entertaining basement I have ever hung out in.
|“It was this big”|
“maybe a bit bigger”
1. Introduction, Donie Carroll; Cathy Maguire, compere.
2. Mick Moloney, Ivan Goff, Martin O Connell, Liz Hanley, Megan Downes (20 minutes)
3. Máirtín de Cógaín with backup musicians (10 minutes)
4. Dan Larkin (5 minutes)
5. Sean Henshaw and Gabriel Donohue (10 minutes)
6. Lillie’s Group (25 minutes)
(Consul General Noel Kilkenny Speaks)
7. Paul Carroll
8. Victor Cuneen and Gabriel Donohue (10 minutes)
9. Cathy Maguire (5 minutes)
10. Martin Daly and Johnny Jackpot (10 minutes)
11. Marie Reilly, Tom Dunne, Caitlin Warbelow, Gabriel Donohue (15 minutes)
|“no, this big”|
|“It was a MONSTER”|
|Liz Hanley, Mick Moloney, Ivan Goff and Martin O’Connell deliver a gorgeous polished set while Mairtin continues to think about his fish|
In addition to the professional musicians Donie gave us a sample from the revolving smorgasbord of the local session scene at Murphy’s Bar, and a recreation of a raucous session at Lillie’s made perfect with a poignant moment when “Waltz Me Around Again, Willie” was played as a tribute to Linda Mason Hood.
If like me you can’t wait another year for this much entertainment please contact Donie at email@example.com to get a copy of the “In Partnership with the Poor” CD which accompanied last year’s equally momentous concert.
Copyright 2012 New York Irish Arts